Wednesday, April 11, 2012

punctuation - The Swung Dash ~ Has Anybody Heard of It?

​Has anybody ever heard of the swung dash? Friends tell me that this is being used by writers in lieu of the dash. See examples below. Has anybody ever seen this usage? If so, is it new?



You are the friend ~ the only friend ~ who offered to help me.



Never have I met such a lovely person ~ before you.



I pay the bills ~ she has all the fun.



I need three items at the store ~ dog food, vegetarian chili, and cheddar cheese.




My agreement with Fiona is clear ~ she teaches me French and I teach her German.



Please call my agent ~ Jessica Cohen ~ about hiring me.



I wish you would ~ oh, never mind.



Two oaks ~ Cassidy had never seen such amazing trees ~ provided shade to the backyard.



Levi wondered how anyone could live like that ~ and why.




John ~ blood dripping from his nose ~ stepped into the room.



I scrubbed the dog ~ and what a chore it was! ~ only to have the cat arrive covered in mud.



When I picked up Karen ~ oh my gosh ~ I was stunned by her beauty.



I fell ~ oh no! ~ all the way to the ground.



I chased his car ~ was it his? ~ all the way to town.




Cars built in Europe ~ particularly in Germany ~ are stylish and sporty.



Are you sure" ~ you lying jerk ~ "that you didn't take my car?"



He has only one thing on his mind ~ girls!



Only one person is qualified for this job ~ you.



Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment